Author: Christian

Jose Angel Guerrero, 33, died after trying to light incense at a hotel

Jose Angel Guerrero, 33, died after trying to light incense at a hotel

Teachers and business owner who died of carbon monoxide poisoning at Mexico City Airbnb brought light to those around them, families say

The owner of a busy Mexico City hotel died after suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning brought on by burning incense for tourists.

Jose Angel Guerrero, 33, died Monday, according to local media report.

His body was found inside a unit in the luxury Alvear hotel, close to the Paseo de la Reforma, at around 1 a.m. local time.

Guerrero, who had worked at the hotel for three years, had been battling cancer and was suffering from chronic respiratory problems, family says.

RELATED: Carbon monoxide poisoning hits Mexico City: Where else have we seen these tragic deaths?

“He took care of his employees,” Guerrero’s sister, Mercedes Reyes, told CNN. “He was a good man and a good family man.”

Guerrero’s body was handed over to the Funerarios de la Patria — a group of volunteers from El Salvador who honor the dead and help bury them as it’s impossible for some families to do this.

Reyes said Guerrero would walk with his sister to the cemetery to offer his condolences to his family.

It’s unclear if it was an accident or whether Guerrero tried to smoke incense at the house he shared with his family.

“I don’t know what happened to him,” Reyes told CNN. “I just know he woke up and he couldn’t breathe.”

His family said he had no smoking device and had no access to gas.

It’s unclear what triggered the man to try to light incense.

However, the hotel worker was known to have had health concerns.

“He never used to smoke, I remember that,” said Reyes. “I don’t know why he did that. But he was always under the care of the hospital.”

Reyes said that Guerrero went to the hospital last week and that doctors had been “taking care of him.” But she added that he left the hospital Thursday to begin his days with his daughters.

She said that this “is an

Leave a Comment